They Don't Understand How Hard It Is

May 18, 2017 Rosie 0 Comments

Why can't our kids understand how hard it is for us parents to let go and let them grow up? We have devoted 18+ years to caring for them, making sure they are safe, hopefully teaching them life lessons and praying that they don't make the same mistakes that we did. As a parent it's hard for me to see them make mistakes but sometimes they need to learn on their own.

My baby girl will soon be 24 years old. She's always concentrated on her studies. Lately, she has decided to get a life (how dare she). Of course I'm going to worry when she's not within arm's reach. I try very hard not to worry. I am trying not to text her so much when she goes out. I'm a worry wart and I always have been.

My son is 30 years old and lives in another state and I worry tremendously about him. He has caught on to what I am doing so now he knows that I call every Sunday morning to make sure he survived the weekend. He always texts me "I'm alive, Mom" and we laugh and continue our conversation. No matter what age our children are they will always be our babies. I always think of the worse case scenario. The world is not the same world we grew up in. I hope they understand it's because I love them and not because I'm trying to control their every move.

I trust them both to make the right choices in life. It's all the other people they encounter along the way that worry me. I'm very grateful that my daughter still likes to hang out with me and my son still calls me every other day. I am proud to have raised such awesome children who I know will go far in life. 

0 comments: